Sunday, September 12, 2010

Kimber VS. Cystic Fibrosis Round 1

These pictures are all out of order, but so is my mind so here goes. Two weeks ago we had a routine 2 yr old check up for little Kimber. Everything was as it always has been....we thought her digestive symptoms were just a milk allergy, she was 5% of her weight. We asked our Dr if we could have her tested for CF just to put our minds at ease. We were in, had the test and it was positive. Our Dr. Sent us up to Primary Children's Medical Center in SLC. They did a more precise test and sure enough, positive for CF. (To learn more about what CF is click here)
Anyway, they admitted us on Thursday and we are going to be here at least 10 days. There are going to be a lot of things, as parents, we need to know so we can keep Kimber healthy as long as possible. Anyway, here are some pictures we've snapped in the last few days.

She is on room arrest so she can't leave her room to go to the play room or walk around the hospital. The Child Life team brought some toys to her room to help keep her entertained during her stay. She packed up all of her things in the shopping cart and was ready to go....she looks homeless.
Here she is sporting her broken arm and hospital gown.
Sharing a soda with Holdyn
She missed Holdyn and was sooooo glad to have her here...it lasted about an hour and they were back to themselves...fighting over everything.

Grandma and Grandpa Baker brought up Holdyn and came for a couple of visits while they were in the area.

Primary Children's has the BEST food for these kids and it always looks awesome!

The girl is supposed to be on a high fat high protein diet and all she wants is broccoli!
She has had a LOT of sad moments...poor lil gal! She doesn't understand all of the pokes and prods...but she is being a champ!

Give her a bit of ice cream and she is a whole new girl!

Here is her first try at the percussion vest... one of our new favorite items. We will be putting this vest on her every morning and evening FOREVER along with her breathing treatments.
This was taken just after her tests in the lab. They gave her a little ducky to help her be happy!

22 comments:

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

What a tough little girl you guys have! Must be from having tough parents! My heart goes out to you guys! You'll for sure be in our thoughts and prayers!

Laurel said...

Wow! Is it common for a diagnosis to come later like Kimber's rather than at birth?

You are exhibiting your regular great attitude and there will be a doctor in the house! :)

We are coming to Utah next week. Depending on Glen's business schedule we will try to get to the hospital for a visit.

Pauline said...

Kimber looks like she is being a champ. I am so sorry that you have to deal with this again. You know the routine well. Good luck with everything and keep us updated. Love your cute little family. :0)

Cram Family said...

Jill I am so sorry to hear about your little girl. It is not easy being a mom and having to watch your children go through pain. You are such an insperation to me and I am sure many other people. Hang in there. Your family is in our prayers. Good luck! Desserae Nelson Cram

sandy said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the news of Kimber. Our prayers are with you guys through this tough time. I hope that things go well up there and that she is happy. She is such a little doll.

Tiffany Cluff said...

She does look like sh is being a champ. Just keep reminding her that Tiff is her favorite, you know how long it takes to get her to warm up I can't be losing progress. Glad things are going good wish it was closer by so we could pop in!!!

Heather B said...

Wish we could come visit! We know how hard it is to be locked up in a room at a childrens hospital- even with child life, it sure can be tough. I'm glad she has ice cream (a good kind!) to help. That vest thing is crazy, what effect does it have? Help break up the thick mucus and stuff to help prevent infection? Still praying for ya'll. Listen to "Be STill My Soul" by David Archuleta on youtube. That helped me a lot.

Cari said...

wow, I cant believe how tiny that vest is! I've never seen one that small! What a tough little girl...she is a fighter! Thinking of you guys always <3

Heidi said...

Hey guys,
I'm glad you guys posted some pictures. What a trooper little Kimber is. I hope everything goes well while you guys are up there. Let us know what ever we can do.

Morgan said...

Wow, you guys! I can't even imagine the thoughts that are running through your heads right now! It looks like she is being taken care of...I sure hope you and Ben are getting rest and being taken care of too! Thoughts and prayers are with you guys!

katy said...

Wow, I can't imagine what you must be going through. She looks so brave. Crazy how the diagnosis came to be. It is amazing to see how God works. What a blessing, now, that you are so familiar with the disease. You are such a strong cute family. I love you and Ben and you and your family are in my prayers.

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

All of those pictures just break my heart! It is way awesome that Ben is in the medical field, right?? Praying for you guys. You guys are some tough cookies! Love you all!

Angie said...

Thanks for posting pictures! She is just so tiny in that big hospital bed. I'm so glad you asked the doctor to test her for CF otherwise you might not have known for even longer. Didn't Ben specialize in CF at some point in his studies? I'm praying for you and your family and pray you will have the strength you need during this time.

The Calico Crew said...

Seriously, Can you guys not catch a break!? Guess that's what comes from being one of those awesome ones that can handle it all! Of course our family is crushed to hear of the news but you are taking a look on life in such a positive way, Jill! Way to set an example of enduring (even if it's not to your end...yet).

Spencer and Mindy said...

Love you guys! GO KIMBER!!

The Isoms said...

What a cutie! PCMC is the best! She is in great hands! We are praying for you guys! Love you guys!

The Conway's said...

So sorry to hear about Kimber...
She looks like she is being taken care of pretty well there!
How did she get a broken arm? Oh my!

Laurel said...

Jill,
Glen & I will be in slc on Wednesday afternoon. Will that be a good time for a visit? Call me 602-770-2566.
Laurel

Penny Cluff said...

Precious Jill & Ben, I had no idea you have been going through this. I have spent time on the mountain (out of the heat) and have not seen much of Jill's mom and dad. God bless. Your family is adorable and I can just feel the love you all have. God bless with little Kimber. Love. Aunt Pen

Cluffers said...

It was so good to see you and your family. Kimber is so cute. I dont blame her for hating me with my awesome mask on. What a new life that lies ahead. Hang in there. Kimber is a trooper and lets not forget that little Holdyn too. Love you all tons!!! (Ben, do you need me to hold your hand? :))

Jackson's said...

Your little darling is one tough cookie. Jill, you all are in our prayers. Let me know if we can do ANYTHING...just sending lots of love and hugs to you all.

Raelyn said...

Jill,
Your sweet little girls are so beautiful. I was shocked to see your blog, but in a way, this does not surprise me. I am always amazed at the blessings in our lives and even though this diagnosis is heartbreaking, I think the Lord blessed you to have the knowledge from first hand experience on how to deal with this disease. Kids with CF are so strong and so inspirational! My heart goes out to your family and I will be praying for all of you. Please let me know if I can help in any way.