Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A Quick update

Holdyn has been sicker than sick! She started out with a very nasty headcold.... she produced more mucus than I've seen in awhile... Then she started vomiting... she even vomited at the Dr's office, and on the way there and on the way home. It was an interesting few days. One thing that we finally tried that calmed her down was for Ben to take her on scooter rides.
She absolutely loved it! She'd cry and cry and cry and we'd just about tried everything we could think of... but the scooter worked every time. Anyway, she is back to feeling somewhat normal... which we are VERY thankful for.

We also put up a few decorations. I'll have to take some more pictures to give you the full effect. We can't find a lot of decorations... the ones we do find are expensive SO we bought two packs of construction paper and went to town! Anyway, here is out "charlie Brown" Christmas tree. It is small, simple and will work out perfectly for the Holiday's. Holdyn is still in her PJ's in this picture... and she came out and saw the lights and wasn't sure what to think... she was soo fun to watch. Her face was filled with excitement.

Anyway, other than that things are good. A few more details on the pregnancy, we are due sometime the middle of June, which puts me at 11 weeks along. I've been pretty lucky and haven't been too sick... up and down, but not too bad. We've also been doing research on the Dr's/midwives in the area. Most of the girls we know who've had babies here have had C-sections. We recently found out why the Dr's are soo aggressive with them. There is no infant ICU...if the infant has any problems they have to life flight them to South America. So if the delivery is going longer than normal, the Dr's don't want to put any stress on the infant, so they take it C-section. We REALLY don't want to be forced into taking that route, so we are lookig into the midwife at the hospital. We will see. There is also the other stuff like getting this kid a passport to come back to the good old USA. Since we are due about 1 month before we are finished on this island we've got some paperwork to get ready AKA getting the birth certificate translated into English and meeting with the US consolate for the passport, when they are on the island. We're going to be busy that last month! Anyway, that's about it for now!

Oh, one more thing! We have 2 Elders/ missionaries missing on Martinique. They've been gone since Monday... they went out for a hike and never returned. We know one of them very well since he's been to our place a few times for dinner before he was transferred. Anyway, keep them in your prayers!!!

7 comments:

Jamey said...

I am glad that Holdyn is feeling better. I can't think of anything that I hate more than one of my kids being sick. There just seems like there is nothing that you can do. - That is crazy all of the things you have to go through to get your baby back to the US, I don't think I thought of all the stuff you would have to do to be able to bring them home with you. Hopefully it all goes smoothly (that, and all the delivary choices). I hope the pregnancy continues to go well.

jaesi said...

Tonight at dinner my grams was telling me about the missionaries.
Crazy that you know them...I will surely keep them in my prayers.
Have you thought about coming home to have your babe? All that stuff would just be to scary for me...
Life flight to South America? crazy.
If you have your baby on St Marten would he/she be a US citizen.

And what a CUTE picture on the scooter...even if she was sick!

Sara :) said...

I hope Holdyn is feeling better. I hate it when my kids are sick. I heard about those missionaries on the news tonight. I would totally fly home to have the baby. You know me I get freaked out over everything.

Julie said...

I am so glad that Holdyn is feeling better. Poor kid! I look at pictures of little Holdyn and think that somehow she must be cold. I know it is just because it is freezing here. I even have to wrap Gracie's dolls in blankets or I feel guilty, like I am somehow not teaching my daughter well enough. I know, I am just strange.

That is so sad about the missionaries. We will pray for them!

I love your little tree. Gracie has one similar to it in her bedroom and she LOVES it! We have to sing songs about Christmas trees every night before we go to bed. I only know so many songs about Christmas trees so I have had to get creative.

Anyway, I am glad you are feeling pretty good. I hope everything continues to go well!

Julie

Anonymous said...

Cute tree! I bet Holdyn loves all the lights.
Glad she's starting to feel better. Good thinking to try a ride on the scooter to help settle her down. She's going to be such an adventurous little gal - look at what she's already experienced in her short life!
Hope you keep feeling well & that you can stay healthy.
We saw the story about the missing missionaries last night - We'll keep them in our prayers.
Take care - Love, Mom B

The Isoms said...

Glad to hear Holdyns filling better, I hate it when my kids are sick! Thank heavens for the scooter! I am so excited that you are prego! I can't wait! Do they give epidurals or any pain meds?
That is scarey about the missionaries! Hope they are okay!

Anonymous said...

Hi-it's Holly-Heidi's sister I stumbled on your blog from Heidi's page. I was so happy to see that your doing so well! Your little sweetie is so adorable. All I can say is what a trooper! Pregnancy is hard enough but add being away from all your family is hard but add another county, WOW!!!!

Just a side note-did they ever find the missionaries? I was the mission mom in Lousiana and have grown to think of all missionaries as my boys- Hope all is well and so glad to be able to check in on you:)