Thursday, June 19, 2008

KIMBER ANNE CLUFF has arrived!


This is definitely a short summary of what happened, but, I wanted to put up a couple of pictures so you could see our little Kimber! She is absolutely Perfect! I started having regular contractions (every 5 minutes) on Tuesday morning around 9:30. I didn't want them to stop so I vigorously played the Wii and ate a lot of ocra (a local friend brought me some to eat). So the contractions continued until about 3 when I called the midwife. They weren't too unbearable and didn't get any closer together, so I wanted to stay home as long as I could. She told me to come into her clinic so she could check and see how I was doing. Things were going well but she told me to go walk the boardwalk for an hour or so then meet her at the hospital. So here we are on the boardwalk :)



Well, we met her at the hospital and I'd dialated 2 more centimeters.... so she sent me to the "Labour Room." This is where you wait with the other women in labor to go into active labour.... I wasn't in there much because I was ordered to "keep walking."


I was at 5cm... when we went here. The walking kept my mind and body off the pain. She told me not to stop but to walk through the contractions. We walked (I might add we had mice running around by our feet and it was very dark everywhere since it is sort of outside/inside accommodations). I then called one of the many heroines of the day... Nurse Bell. She is my new island mother we know from church. She is a retired RN and was anxious to help us. So she came straight into the hospital.

I also want to add that they didn't have an ice machine. They just had a small (3 gallonish sized) cooler with a bag of crushed ice in for all of the women in labor to share. Ben had to run home just to get some water for himself to drink.... no drinking fountains nearby or anything! No cafeteria/soda machine etc etc. So he made a quick dash home to get some snacks and water.... while I walked, and walked, and walked, and walked. Oh also, no 24 hour gas station restraunts etc to grab food so home was pretty much our only option.


When Ben returned they checked me again and I was at 7cm. So they moved me to the Delivery Ward. Where I told to continue to walk and walk. So with Ben on one arm and Hilda Bell on the other we continued our laps. (Sorry no exciting photo's of this part :)


Well, the midwife then told me to take a show

er. I must say, it felt sooo nice to stand in the warm water... even though I was HOTTER than ever, the warmth helped my body relax and gave me a boost for the finally. When the shower finished, again, I was told to walk until I felt like I absolutely had to push. Well, we made about 3 more passes down the hall with many stops for contractions when it hit.... I had to push! No stopping her now!!


FINALLY, I got to climb into the bed :) I must say, however, that not having all the machines hooked up to you is quite nice. I was free the entire time. No monitors going on and off, no people coming in and out to check on things..... not that I was ever in one place more than a minute or two. It was pretty much all up to us and to just wait out the contractions.


Well, finally, I was able to push.... Kimber literally

popped out at 1:12 am Wed June 18. She was 7lbs 2 oz and 51 cm.


This is Nurse Hilda Bell.... our wonderful friend and island mother!!!Here she is...in our room under the mosquito netting... YES there were mosquito's attacking all night long! That is our story in a nutshell. It really went as well as we could of hoped for. There were lots of other exciting moments on the sides, but that is the main chunk. Oh, The midwife was awesome.... Ms. Janga, let Ben check me everytime she did so he could get practice. He was able to be very involved with the delivery and was soo excited about that! She taught him a lot of great tricks. Here she is at our 2 week appt. holding baby Kimber.

Anyway, I wouldn't have changed a thing... I went into labour at night... just like I'd hoped so it was a little cooler and everything went along great! I SURVIVED! I have been praying for a few months to make it through.... I was definitely blessed in many ways! It truly was a fantastic experience!!


Also, a HUGE THANKS to Rachel and Cody for watching our little Holdyn while we were at the hospital!!!

29 comments:

Sara :) said...

She is such a cutie! I bet Holdyn is loving her new baby sister. Looks like you made it through. I'm glad everything went ok.

Spencer and Mindy said...

OH yay! I wanna see more pics!! I'm glad that all went well, and you are doing great!!

Heidi said...

Oh she is so cute, and she looks so healthy I,m so glad everything went so good.

No longer exists said...

Oh, so adorable! I can't wait to see you tonight!! You are such a trooper! Holdyn looks like a great big sis already! Love, Candace and Richie

The Isoms said...

What a cutie! So excited for you guys! Congratulations! I am soooo glad that everything went great! What a great big sister Holdyn has! Can't wait to see you guys in about 8 weeks!!!

Anonymous said...

Soo glad she's here & you both did well thru the delivery.
We're excited to get there - wish we had waited to buy our tickets. See you soon.
Love, Mom & Dad B

Anonymous said...

Soo glad she's here & you both did well thru the delivery.
We're excited to get there - wish we had waited to buy our tickets. See you soon.
Love, Mom & Dad B

Heather B said...

AUGHHH! JILL! You did it! All natural! Congrats, it went so smoothly, I'm amazed, so how bad did those labor pains hurt at 7/8/9/10 cm?? You didn't even mention any pain, although I'm sure it was there. You are my hero!!

Heather B said...

Oh, and p.s. she's GORGEOUS!

Julie said...

Hooray! We are so glad things went to so well. You are amazing girl!!! Good job! And that little girl is beautiful! I am glad things went the way you planned them (as much as they can with having a baby anyway). Yay, congratulations to you and Ben and Holdyn. And how cool that the midwife let Ben be so involved! I wonder what my doctor will think of that when we have this baby? Anyway, we are really happy for you! Congrats again!

Tim and Rachel Seely said...

Jill you are amazing and little Kimber is so beautiful! I am so proud of you! :) You are such a great example and my hero. You are so optimistic and make the best of every situation. Your little family is beautiful and I hope everything continues to go well for you guys. Take care and I can't wait to see you! Rachel

Julie Kohler said...

Jill, she is beautiful!!Love the all the pictures, but especially the one of proud big sis Holdyn with little Kimber! I am so, so, so glad things went smoothly for you, you are my hero for being so tough! you'll have to let me know what it was like without an epidural. That is so awesome that Ben got to be so involved! Much better than feeling helpless on the sidelines. CONGRATULATIONS YOU GUYS!! We are so happy for you and your beautiful little girls!

Anonymous said...

so glad the baby is here & that you are doing well. Can't wait to see you.
Love, Mom & Dad B

Pauline said...

Congrats Jill,Ben and Holdyn we are glad that everything went ok for you and that there were no big complications. We have all been very worried about you here. all the Fowlks Laurel Jenny everyone so I am glad to here all is well.
Can't wait to see you all

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Congrats Cluff Family! That is so exciting! I am SOOO glad everything went smooth and as planned. So, did you do the whole thing without an epi? If so, you are my hero. I'm way too big of a wuss.

Can't wait to see more pics, she looks perfect though! Holdyn looks like a proud older sister! CONGRAT'S again!

Cluffers said...

congrats girly!! I am so glad everthing went well and she is way cute. I cant wait to see her in real life. I can tell Holdyn is going to be a great big sister.

The Cluff Family said...

A big congrats to you both. She is so cute !!!!! Can't wait to see the whole family again.

Crystal said...

She's so sweet! I'm happy to hear that everything went smoothly! How is the adjustment to two kids??

Anonymous said...

Congrat's you guys, you are very brave. I'm glad it went well and your all healthy. you have a beautiful family.

Heidi said...

AWSOME!!!! now would be a great time to start planning a little brother to be born in europe . Wow my world traveling sis and family!!! Ben good job. Jill WoW . how is Holden doing with another Beautiful Cluff girl in the family taking all her attention ? does she want to send her back?

Ashley said...

Congrats Jill! I am so proud of you! You did an amazing job and Kimber is beautiful! You will always have an awesome story to tell Kimber about her birth in the Caribbean!

Angie said...

Congrats on cute, little Kimber! I'm so glad all went well at the hospital. I was worrying about it too!

Vagabond Mother said...

Congratulations! I am so relieved it all went well! What gorgeous girl!

Rachel said...

Congrats...what a trooper you were and nothing to dull the pain. Wow, I am truly amazed. She's beautiful!

The Calico Crew said...

You sound like a dang pioneer with all that walking and walking and walking. You are such a trooper and make me think that next time...I'll just walk and walk and walk--all the while thinking of you. Congrats to you and Ben on the new arrival!

jaesi said...

As Heather said...You are my hero!
How awesome and what a neat place to be born (on an island and all) she will be so proud of that later in life...
I want to hear more about pain too...you are sooooo awesome!
She is beautiful!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jill! WAY TO GO!!!!!
We are sending lots of telepathic messages your way to say that we are SO happy and relieved that Kimber is here and you are doing great. Forever after you will have the best adventure story....... THE BROXS LOVE YOU!

Stucki Family said...

Congratulations! Great job. I don't know if I could have done it like that, but you are so amazing, I am not surprised you did it (and with such a great attitude). She is beautiful!

Holly Woolsey said...

Oh! She's adorable! Congratulations! I hope you are feeling better. What a trooper to keep walking and walking!