Thursday, April 12, 2007

Monkey Business???

Okay, so we got up at 6 this morning and were going through the regular routine. At about 7:30, I sat down on our sofa and looked out the sliding glass doors. We are on the second floor and have a small balcony. I saw something jump onto the fence/wall just off the balcony. I thought it was a cat...since there are about 500 strays running around. But, with a closer look I noticed it was much larger and had a super long tail!!! It was a MONKEY!!!! Yep, a monkey!! Just 12 feet or so from our balcony. I yelled for Ben to come and see. He was just as shocked as I was! We grabbed the camera, but by the time we got the shot, we just got it's tail end! At first I thought it must be someone's pet. But, nobody was around, and it was bigger than the pets I've imagined. As I talked with people throughout the day, I learned that there are monkeys around...but hardly anyone sees them! LUCKY US! We got a front row seat! I was a little scared to leave later with the baby....what if it wanted to eat us!? We haven't seen it around since.
Seriously, the COOLEST things happen in St. Maarten! You never know what you are going to see!!

Ben did some research to see if we could find out what kind of monkey it actually was and we think it was this one.....it's called a green vervet monkey. Cool eh?

4 comments:

Nadine said...

that is crazy...justin went to the philipines on his mish and he has a whole bunch of pics with monkeys. he said that the female monkeys hate women they only like men and they've been known to get aggressive with women. but it was a different kind of monkey...much smaller so i'm sure you're okay and not in any monkey danger.

Abby said...

that is so funny! I can't imagine! it looks so pretty outside your window!

Spencer and Mindy said...

So did i tell you that i'm kinda afraid of Monkey's? and every other Wild animal, or creepy crawly thing out in the world... you are going to have to protect me while we come and Visit ya... hee hee

Sara :) said...

I don't think I would dare go outside again.