Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Whitness the Greatness

The world stood still for a moment Sunday evening on September 4, 2011, as one of my dearest friends Whitni Brooke Nisson Reese took her last breath in this life. She lost her courageous fight with a rare and aggressive form of ovarian cancer. I will never be able to explain or express the footprints she left in my life. What an awesome girl! I met Whitni In Kindergarten.....25 years ago. Our dads both worked at Post Offices....we were destined to be friends. She always said she pretended to like MacGyver...(but really had no clue who he even was) ...because I was obsessed with him when we were young and she wanted to be cool like me. I had her fooled! I was a total nerd!

We have so many wonderful memories with her! She came to the island of St. Maarten when we were living there for a couple of weeks. We loved and laughed almost every minute!
She came to 'Le Chalet...an authentic fondu restaurant on the island....we had to go there because she had served her mission in Switzerland and it reminded her of that time.
Whitni told us this very day (in the pic above) that they had found a mass and they were checking it for cancer. It seemed so unrealistic that we didn't really worry at that point.
A few short weeks later she had started chemo aggressively and soon lost her hair, but she was still one of the most beautiful girls I will ever know. While she was still feeling well enough, we tried to do as many things as we could. She wanted a trip to pine valley...like the old days...so we made it happen. We sat on the porch swing/hammock and talked about how life is so unpredictable. We took a fishing trip to the reservoir....just loving each moment we had with her.
We were able to go fishing at Lake Powell for a day....no fish were caught, but we were with Whitni...and called it a successful day.
Had PJ parties and got pedicures.....still just talking and laughing, and crying about life.
She always helped us keep things in perspective...even before her fight with cancer began.
There was an awesome benefit concert set up in her behalf. Wouldn't have missed it for the world!! Below we are with the performer...Jessie Funk...what an awesome lady!
We had a VERY special night with Hillary Weeks.... what a beautiful woman with so much talent and spirit to share!!
I was so thankful to spend some of Whitni's last few days on this earth with her. On Thursday, last week, she only had one request...she wanted to get outside and see the sun. Katie, Andee and I with the help of another dear family friend Karen. Got her in the wheelchair and out of the house and pushed her around the church next to her home. It was her last time outside. I wouldn't have missed it for the world! I saw my friends in the most celestial light possible those last few days and hours as we worked together to take care of sweet Whitni, rubbing her feet and arms and head, holding her hand, giving her a pedicure, laughing at old times and lots of crying. Whitni was sharp clear up to the end, even though she could barely speak, she was still taking control of the situation and making sure everyone was getting the job done. She went peacefully Sunday night. Jared was with us working on the casket at my parents house when the call came for him to come home...she was ready to 'go home.' He called us shortly after and invited us over to tell her out last goodbye's. She looked so peaceful and calm compared to the days and hours prior. We were so blessed to be a part of this wonderful experience. Whitni, you are deeply missed and I would say rest in peace, but I know it drives you crazy to sit still....I'm sure you are ecstatic to not have your cancerfilled body to slow you down. Go get em up there in heaven! Can't wait to see you again! Tell Charlton I say hello and now I'm expecting you both to watch out for my family!! (After you focus on Jared and your family of course :) Love you Whitters!!!

10 comments:

Sueo said...

I read your beautiful tribute to Whitni and wanted to thank you for sharing. We too love Whitni and are so grateful for the opportunity to know and love her. Please give the family our very heartfelt condolences. Our prayers and thoughts are with Whitni and her family at this time....Sue & Jim Thompson Family

Heidi said...

Oh so sorry jill to hear about witney. So sad. She was a super person and you were such a great friend to her.

I'm so excited for you guys with the new arrival coming. Cody is a super cute name.

Spencer and Mindy said...

can't stop the tears after reading this! way to go sis. Beautifully said. wish we could be there with you this weekend. hope all goes well. love you

Rainee said...

Haaa it is so touching. I wish I met that woman the way you described her. I look forward to meeting her when we all "go home" She is an amazing woman and may she work hard during the millennium!

Jackson's said...

Jill, I am so sorry about the loss of your friend. She sounded like a wonderful person. My thoughts are with you.

Tara and David said...

Whitni was one in a million and the bond that you girls have is a amazing. I am admiring you so much. You have had so many losses and trials in your life and yet you still have the best attitude and that wonderful smile of yours. I hope and pray that if I am ever to go through even a small trial compared to yours I hope that can have your wonderful spirit and attitude. What better friends for Whit to have during that last moments of her life. I also am in awe of the casket. What an amazing and spiritual experience you have just experienced. Love you Jill!

The Calico Crew said...

Why are you making my eyes fill up so easily? Sheesh, Jill! It's not many people who can say they have friendships like you girls do. I know Kandice was torn because this was all happening while she was at our reunion. Everyone who knows Whitni will always have a great memory of her. Your words are perfectly said (written).

jaesi said...

Im sobbing.

She was so awesome. And freaking beautiful!
Like mentioned before...Im sooooo inspired (for years!) by the circle of friends you have.

You all amaze me.

Wendy said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. She sounds like a wonderful friend and an awesome person. I had tears in my eyes reading your beautiful tribute.

Jamey said...

I don't know how you do it...you are so strong, and what great friends you all are. She was so lucky to have a friend like you! Thank you for sharing a little bit of her with us through your words.